WHAT WE'RE DOING
COVID-19 presents significant challenges to the Polk County community, especially for our homeless response system. The Polk County Continuum of Care is here to serve as a hub for information and community collaboration. In an effort to help, we have compiled a list of resources to assist organizations and community residents as they navigate this challenging time. We’re also working daily with our Polk County community to assess the spread of COVID-19, provide necessary equipment, and create plans for those experiencing homelessness who have tested positive for COVID-19. We’re grateful for the strength of our community and the collaboration across Polk County as we all navigate this crisis together.
RESOURCES FOR OUR COMMUNITY
See below for various Coronavirus-related resources to serve individuals, organizations, and our Greater Des Moines community in this time.
- Polk County Health Department Information
- Masks for Shelters and Essential Workers
- Latest Iowa Coronavirus Stats
- Iowa Department of Public Health Resources
- RACI and Lutheran Services in Iowa, in partnership with 211, Polk County Heath Department, and the Iowa Department of Public Health, have launched a new hotline that will help expand access and capacity to Iowans who are limited in English at 1-877-558-2609
- Housing Interpretation Hotline for landlords and limited-English-speaking tenants at 515-282-8269, Ext. 5.
- EMBARC Crisis Response Resources in 10 different languages
- Iowa Legal Aid: What You Need to Know About COVID-19
- Legal Hotline at 1-800-332-0419 Iowans experiencing any type of legal problem related to the coronavirus/COVID-19 crisis, such as facing eviction, being denied unemployment benefits, experiencing employment issues, or being a victim of identity theft, can call. Callers will leave a message and Iowa Legal Aid staff will call them back.
- Eviction Lab Housing Services and Supports
Food and Family Supports
- Des Moines Public Schools comprehensive resources for students and families
- DMARC Food Pantry Network
- Folks who did not file a 2018 or 2019 tax return, can sign up for their Economic Impact Payment by going to the IRS site
- Iowa Mortgage Help
National Resources and General COVID-19 Guidance
- Federal Eviction Moratoriums
- HUD COVID-19 Resources
- CDC Resources to Support People Experiencing Homelessness
- USICH Coronavirus Toolkit
- Coping With Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- National Housing Preservation Database Mapping Tool