WHAT WE'RE DOING
COVID-19 presents significant challenges to the Polk County community, especially for our homeless response system. The Polk County Continuum of Care is here to serve as a hub for information and community collaboration. We recognize the seriousness of this pandemic for people experiencing homelessness, service providers, and those facing financial instability. In an effort to help, we have compiled a list of resources to assist organizations and community residents as they navigate this challenging time. We’re also working daily with our Polk County community to assess the spread of COVID-19, provide necessary equipment, and create plans for those experiencing homelessness who have tested positive for COVID-19. We’re grateful for the strength of our community and the collaboration across Polk County as we all navigate this crisis together.
PREVENTION OF HOMELESSNESS- EVICTION EDUCATION
COVID-19 will have dire consequences on our community’s ability to maintain safe, stable housing. While initial stimulus and unemployment measures and emergency tenant protections have so far supported many households, the expiration of Iowa’s eviction moratorium puts many Iowans at risk of homelessness.
In preparation for this need, our community has begun partnerships to support residents, renters, and landlords. More information is still to come surrounding funding for rent relief in Polk County. In the meantime, view the documents below for information about renters’ rights and community resources to prevent evictions during this time
- Eviction Prevention Information for Polk County
- SPANISH Eviction Prevention Information for Polk County
- Eviction Prevention Information for the State of Iowa
- SPANISH Eviction Prevention Information for the State of Iowa
RESOURCES FOR OUR COMMUNITY
See below for various Coronavirus-related resources to serve individuals, organizations, and our Greater Des Moines community in this time.
- Polk County Health Department Information
- Masks for Shelters and Essential Workers
- Latest Iowa Coronavirus Stats
- Iowa Department of Public Health Resources
- RACI and Lutheran Services in Iowa, in partnership with 211, Polk County Heath Department, and the Iowa Department of Public Health, have launched a new hotline that will help expand access and capacity to Iowans who are limited in English at 1-877-558-2609
- Housing Interpretation Hotline for landlords and limited-English-speaking tenants at 515-282-8269, Ext. 5.
- Iowa Legal Aid: What You Need to Know About COVID-19
- Legal Hotline at 1-800-332-0419 Iowans experiencing any type of legal problem related to the coronavirus/COVID-19 crisis, such as facing eviction, being denied unemployment benefits, experiencing employment issues, or being a victim of identity theft, can call. Callers will leave a message and Iowa Legal Aid staff will call them back.
- Eviction Lab Housing Services and Supports
Food and Family Supports
- Des Moines Public Schools comprehensive resources for students and families
- DMARC Food Pantry Network
- Folks who did not file a 2018 or 2019 tax return, can sign up for their Economic Impact Payment by going to the IRS site
- Iowa Mortgage Help
National Resources and General COVID-19 Guidance
- Federal Eviction Moratoriums
- HUD COVID-19 Resources
- CDC Resources to Support People Experiencing Homelessness
- USICH Coronavirus Toolkit
- Coping With Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks